In this document:
- 1. Install an SSL Certificate
- 2. Sign Up for a Stripe Account
- 3. Setup the Publishable Key and Secret Key in SSA
- 4. Setup the Stripe Webhook URL in Stripe
- 5. Saving Your Stripe SSA Basic Settings
- 6. Adding Payments to Your Appointment Types
- Manage Pending Bookings
Make it easy for your customers to book paid appointments using Stripe. Add the Stripe option to receive payments directly to your Stripe Business Account.
You’ll need to:
- Install an SSL Certificate
- Sign Up for a Stripe Account
- Set up the Publishable Key and Secret Key in SSA
- Set up the Stripe Webhook URL in Stripe
- Save Your Stripe SSA Basic Settings
- Adding Payments to Your Appointment Types
After finishing those steps, you’ll be ready to start taking Stripe payments! Finish setting up Payments for your appointments by adding your payment settings to your Appointment Types.
1. Install an SSL Certificate
Stripe requires your site to have an SSL Certificate.
A quick way to tell if you are SSL Certified is to check your site’s URL. Make sure your URL starts with HTTPS, not just HTTP.
If you find that your site isn’t SSL certified, contact your hosting company for help in getting that setup.
2. Sign Up for a Stripe Account
If you don’t have one yet, go over to their website and get one set up. Stripe requires an account before you can start to accept payments – and it’s free to create an account!
Create or Login to your Stripe Account
When you sign-up for a new account, verify your email and onboard your account. Your account will continue to work as a test account until you verify and finish onboarding.
After verifying, Stripe will ask you to finish onboarding by asking for more information about your business, collecting your Bank details, etc.
You cannot accept payments or get live API keys until your account has been correctly set up.
3. Setup the Publishable Key and Secret Key in SSA
Once you’ve got your Stripe account, you’ll need to get your Publishable Key and your Secret Key from your Stripe account.
Copy and Paste the Keys from Stripe to SSA
Go to Developers > API keys. You need to make sure you’re copying the Live API keys.
With your copied keys, go to your SSA Settings > Payments > Stripe > Under Basic Settings, enter each key into its corresponding field.
Make sure to store your Secret Key in a separate and safe location; after you generate the key for the first time, you cannot copy or view it ever again.
4. Setup the Stripe Webhook URL in Stripe
You need to install an SSL Certificate for this step to work.
Copying the Webhook URL From SSA
Go to your SSA Settings > Payments > Stripe.
You’ll see the fields Stripe Webhook URL that you need to copy under the Basic Settings.
Pasting the Webhook URL to Stripe
Go to Developers > Webhooks.
Click on + Add endpoint. Then paste in the Stripe Webhooks URL.
Under the Select events to listen to section, click on the link to the +Select Events button. Go ahead and click Select All Events at the top of the list. Click +Add Endpoint at the bottom of the screen.
If you’re using Cloudflare, you’ll need to whitelist the SSA Webhook URLS as well. Please visit our guide on the 503 Error for Stripe Webhooks to see the set up steps.
5. Saving Your Stripe SSA Basic Settings
Double-check the Display title, Description fields, and Statement Descriptor to make sure that’s what you’d like your clients to see when they’re booking.
- Display Title: The name that will display on the booking form for the Stripe payment option
- Description: The description that will display on the booking form for the Stripe payment option
- Statement Descriptor: This text follows your company’s name on your customer’s bank account statement
You can use the Advanced Settings section to put Stripe into test mode to test payments.
We have a guide to walk you through the Stripe Test Mode setup if you’re interested.
6. Adding Payments to Your Appointment Types
Now you can start accepting payments for your appointments with Stripe! Finish setting up your payments by adding your payment settings to your Appointment Types.
Adding Payments to Appointment Types
Manage Pending Bookings
An appointment with a Pending Payment status is waiting to hear back from Stripe. These are handled differently from normal bookings. And, the admin has a few options on how to handle them.
Learn more about managing pending bookings.
File a support ticket with our five-star support team to get more help.