In this document:
When creating appointment types, the ability to add custom fields for customer information is available in the premium editions of Simply Schedule Appointments:
- Simply Schedule Appointments Plus Edition
- Simply Schedule Appointments Professional Edition
- Simply Schedule Appointments Business Edition
Name and Email are always required fields for every appointment type. When editing the custom fields for an appointment type, you’ll see that these two fields have disabled gray icons in front of them and that you do not have the option to re-order, edit, or delete these two fields.
Adding custom fields
To add a new field, click the Add field button. A modal will open where you can add the details for your custom field.
The following fields are available:
- The label is the name of the field, e.g. Phone number or Birthday. This is the name your customers will see when asked to fill out the booking form, and this name will also be included in any email notifications or reminders about a booked appointment.
- Check the checkbox if your customer should be required to complete this field in order to book an appointment. If left unchecked, the field is voluntary for your customer.
- Select which type of field you’d like to set up. Your options are:
- Single Line Text: Ideal for short text answer, e.g. Name, Email Address, City, etc.
- Multi Line Text: Ideal for longer text answers that might be a sentence or longer.
- Checkboxes: Ideal for multiple choice where your customer can select multiple options if necessary
- Radios: Ideal for multiple choices where you customer can select only one option.
- If you select Checkboxes or Radios as the type for the field, you’ll need to enter values for each radio button or checkbox. To add multiple checkboxes or radio buttons, just hit the Enter key to add a new line.
- If you’d like to display an icon before the field, you can select an icon from the list.
- Helpful instructions for filling out the field. These will be shown just below the field when the customer is booking an appointment.
Click the Update button to save your settings and close the modal.
Editing a custom field
To edit a custom field, click the cog icon to the right of the field.
This open the field menu:
Click the Edit option on the menu. A modal form will open where you can edit the settings for the custom field. See the above section on adding a new custom field for a description of the settings.
Cloning a custom field
If you’re adding multiple fields with similar settings, you can save some time by cloning an existing field rather than creating new ones from scratch. To clone an existing field, click the cog icon to the right of the custom field, then select Clone from the menu.
A copy of the field will open in a modal dialog where you can adjust the settings. Click the Update button when you’re finished to add the new field to the list of custom fields.
Deleting a custom field
To remove a field, click the cog icon to the right of an appointment type and select Delete from the menu. The custom field will be removed.
Reordering custom fields
Custom fields can be re-arranged into any order you like, except for Name and Email which will always remain the first and second fields. To re-order the fields, just place your mouse over either the name of the field or the icon in front of the field. You’ll see the cursor change to the move cursor. Click and drag the custom field up or down to its new position in the list. You’ll see the other appointment types slide into position to make room for the moved appointment type.